NOMURA ASSET MANAGEMENT ("we" hereafter) follows the principles outlined below in order to fulfill our fiduciary duty (Note 1) as an asset management company.
- Our primary purpose is to aim to achieve the best possible investment performance for our clients.
- We strive to establish a virtuous cycle of investment growth in accordance with the Stewardship Code (Note 2) and the Corporate Governance Code (Note 3). This includes engaging in constructive dialogue, exercising voting rights, and considering ESG factors (Note 4). Based on this "virtuous cycle of investment growth", we aim to realize a healthy, sustainable society and contribute to raising the earnings power of corporations, thereby aiding the formation of national wealth.
- We strive to earn and maintain the public's trust and earn the confidence of all our stakeholders.
- (Note 1)Fiduciary duty is a concept expressing the responsibility of an investment company that gives top priority to customer's interests.
- (Note 2)This code requires of institutional investors (shareholders) that they promote the value creation, the sustainable growth, etc., of the listed corporations in which they invest, and that they aim to increase the medium-to long-term returns on investments.
- (Note 3)This code requires of listed corporations that they aim to increase their corporate value over the medium to long term by means of improving their performance (increasing their earning power) and strengthening their supervisory functions (quality of management).
- (Note 4)ESG is an abbreviation for Environment, Society, and Corporate Governance.
- (Note 5)Source: PRI Assessment Report
- (Note 6)Including the meetings conducted by Equity Research Department in Nomura Asset Management Tokyo
Nomura Asset Management is committed to fulfilling both our fiduciary and social responsibilities through the provision of high quality products and investment solutions that meet the performance and service expectations of our clients. At the same time, we recognize the growing importance of Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) measures of company performance. The following statement summarizes our firm-wide ESG related commitments and initiatives.
Responsible Investment Report 2019
Nomura Asset Management's annual Responsible Investment Report 2019 edition is now available in both English and Japanese language versions. Following on from the previous report, which focused on stewardship, this report takes a fresh look at several aspects of our commitment to ESG investment in Japan and worldwide, and across all asset classes.
This report includes a detailed account of our commitment to the TCFD (Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures), focusing on our engagement and governance activities along with climate change related risks and opportunities.
Impact investing is another important development in terms of our engagement activities. Through constructive discussions with portfolio companies we can help them to establish material ESG targets that may ultimately help to improve the investment's risk return profile. In this sense, we believe active portfolio management is synonymous with active ownership.